Sunday, March 6, 2011

Film Vs. Digital

Who thought film still existed? I went to school for photography but have never entered an actual darkroom.  Some People are still confused when I tell them my 24 inch  iMac IS my Darkroom....Since all of MY developing gets done with Adobe Lightroom.

So When I interviewed with Local Photographer Joseph Prezioso and he said he shoots film...I was confused and disappointed because I thought.... I don't know the first thing about film. We talked about the differences and the similarities.  I went home thinking it would be interesting to learn and experience something New. (in this case old ;) He was willing to teach me an assures me it really is the same thing. An Exposure is an Exposure. So I agreed to assist.

Don't get me wrong I've had a camera in My hand for as long as I can remember, but most times it was the easier to manage Point and Shoot film Kind...So if anything I certainly know how to load a roll of film. I did as much research as I could to be prepared for the event I would be assisting on.  But Whoa!!! No one could have prepared me for the experience and the tons of different cameras and rolls of him that were all to be used during one event! I am sad to say that I did not use the film quite as much as I thought I would. It was there and available for my use. I chose one camera a Canon 35mm 7e Elan which was the closest thing to how my own camera felt in my hands. However I still felt more comfortable holding on to my digital camera.

Here are My Reasons why...
  • Instant gratification
  • Not having to change the film
  • Checking to see that I got what I needed
  • Carrying one camera instead of 3
  • Being able to Show some the VERY next day =)

While I totally have Respect for those Photographers that still shoot film and as an assistant I will do as I'm told and shoot whatever the Main Photographer is requesting/requiring of me. I do want to try again but.....

Until I am totally confident and have mastered film (and practiced it on my own time)  I think for Me and the Work I do for My Own Clients, I'll have to stick to digital =)

 & Be Happy about it!!

Here's a Peek at the Digital images :)
A Work of Art

A First Look Moment

A Spectacular View

No comments:

Post a Comment